[Ironpython-users] IronPython 3 Update

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 00:59:37 CET 2014

I know a lot of people are interested in IronPython 3, so I'm going to
provide an idea of where things are right now and where they are
headed.

First off, IronPython 3 development will take place in a new
repository (https://github.com/IronLanguages/ironpython3) to break
from the old repo that was converted from Microsoft's internal TFS. It
is not up-to-date with the old repo and I probably won't sync them
until after 2.7.5 is released. Doing so while preserving committers
should be possible but I haven't tried yet. One side effect of the
repo split is that the history is also split; preserving it in a sane
way was not really possible.

The README has the necessary instructions to get started (finally!).

There is also a new test runner based on NUnitLite; you can run the
tests by running `make test` from a command prompt. I haven't tested
it on Mono yet but it should work there as well. The Makefile needs to
be updated to include testing.

The Python 3 standard library has been imported; it doesn't really
work because it uses Python 3 features, but that should provide some
prioritization (the new metaclass syntax is pretty critical now,
because io.py uses it). All of the old IronPython tests are there as
well, although many will have to be updated (or removed, if they're
redundant with CPython tests) for Python 3.

I'm going to add the needed PEPs to the issues list for the new repo
so that anyone interested can claim them.

The new repo structure should make working on IronPython much easier
than before, which will hopefully encourage more people to contribute.
It also make it easir to push stdlib changes back upstream to reduce
the maintenance load.

As always, I'm happy to answer any questions.

- Jeff