[Ironpython-users] A question on the future of ironpython

touficmc at gmail.com touficmc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 10:47:38 CET 2014

Hello there. My name is Toufic, and I am a python and c# programmer. I use python a lot in my finance job as much as c#. When it comes to GUI building c# makes is easy in the GUI design but in my humble opinion I find it extremely easy to manipulate data with Python. The leverage of using lists and tuples and dictionaries is huge and straight forward. After discovering ironpython I was pleased to target the .net framework and to be able to generate native applications on Windows (I use Linux a lot but at work we need fast GUI building on Windows). Two things crossed my mind since I started using ironpython (a great language!):

1- designing a GUI programmatically (talking here about winforms) is time consuming so why there is no graphical GUI designer like in a c# projects where you can drag and drop widgets on your winform? It should be an open source project and please not like wxglade!

2- what does the future hold for ironpython? Will it continue to get support from Microsoft or it is over ? Will it be maintained in the future and by whom?

Before investing more on ironpython getting answers on these two questions is important. I would really appreciate if someone more involved with ironpython can answer me.

Regards,
Toufic