[Ironpython-users] Supporting ensurepip early in the development timeline?

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Wed May 7 09:50:40 CEST 2014

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Olof Bjarnason <olof.bjarnason at gmail.com> wrote:
> PIP built-in sounds like a dream :)
>
> Is there anything I can help out on testing this?

First, open an issue: https://ironpython.codeplex.com/WorkItem/Create,
and send me your CodePlex username so I can add you to the project
(after 2.7.5 everything will move to GitHub, but I'm using CP for one
last release, for old times' sake) and you can edit/close issues.

I've wanted to have pip working for quite a while now but just never
found the time.[1] Honestly though, it should be pretty easy.
ensurepip I've never looked at, so I don't know, but I can't imagine
it being too difficult. Upstream on these projects is open to patches
for IronPython support as well, so there shouldn't be any issues
there. With ensurepip we could even distribute our own fork if we had
to.

>From what I recall the major issue with pip was making sure that it
had with: blocks where needed, since parts of it implicitly relied on
CPython's refcounting GC to close files deterministically. That may
have been cleaned up over the years.

Because of various things over the next month 2.7.5 probably won't
land until June, so there should be lots of time to get pip/ensurepip
ready.

- Jeff

[1] http://wondermark.com/729/