[Ironpython-users] IronPython SQLite interface

Doug Blank doug.blank at gmail.com
Fri May 9 13:01:40 CEST 2014

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 4:42 AM, Jeff Hardy <jdhardy at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 5:32 PM, Doug Blank <doug.blank at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just getting back to attempting to use sqlite3 on computers other than
> > Windows, and it looks like this C# library has other problems on other
> OSes.
> >
> > The first issue is that it appears that all activity must happen in the
> same
> > thread (connection, cursor, execution). That can mitigated against if
> that
> > is the way that it has to be. (A wrapper could be supplied to run
> everything
> > in a specific thread).
> >
> > The next problem is a show stopper:
> >
> > import sqlite3
> > conn = sqlite3.connect("test.db")
> > cur = conn.cursor()
> > cur.execute("select * from tables;")
> >
> > This works on Windows, but gives a SystemError: LockFileEx on Linux. I
> > suspect that the information that Ivan pointed to (below) indicates that
> > these patches screwed up sqlite port so that it no longer will work on
> Linux
> > and Mac.
> >
> > Anyone have ideas, on either a fix, or using a different library,
> different
> > version?
>
> Right now, I don't know if there's much that can be done. The C#
> SQLite port it uses is pretty Windows-specific, and I doubt it's worth
> the effort to fix it since it's no longer maintained anyway. I've been
> pondering replacing the guts of the SQLite module with
> https://github.com/ericsink/SQLitePCL.raw, which wraps the *actual*
> SQLite library instead of the C# port.
>
> The module implementation shouldn't have to change that much, since
> most of the function names should be the same. I don't yet know if
> SQLitePCL works on Unix/Mac but it does support Android and iOS so
> it's probably going to be a lot easier to fix it than it would be for
> C#-SQLite.
>
> I hadn't planned on this until IronPython 3, but I'd be very happy to
> include it in 2.7.5 (or a possible 2.7.6) if someone else does the
> work.

Thanks for the information!

As I am also interested in other .NET/Mono languages (and other DB
connections), I wonder if we are going to spend any time on this, if it
wouldn't be better to use (and perhaps refine, if needed) the
ADO.NETSqlite interface:

http://www.mono-project.com/SQLite

Perhaps it is better to move away from the sqlite-specific API and towards
a standard that would allow people to move between db backends? I suspect
Vern may have some information on this point, considering his recent
announcement here on adodbapi version 2.6.

-Doug