[Ironpython-users] Newbie Mac IronPython Forms Question

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 14:18:10 CET 2014

On Fri, Oct 31, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Todd Banister <tbanister at primarycapital.com
> wrote:

>  I am just getting started with IronPython and working my way through the
> IronPython In Action book by Manning publishing. So far, I am able to do
> all of the examples on my Windows 8 VM on my Mac without any problems
> (running the latest 2.7.5 beta 3 version). But I am running into some
> issues with generating Forms on the Mac side.
>
>  On my Mac, I am trying to run the following code:
>
>  import clr
>  clr.AddReference('System.Windows.Forms')
> from System.Windows.Forms import Application, Form
> form=Form()
> Application.Run(form)
>
>  When I try to run this simple code to create a blank form, the command
> line interpreter hangs when it gets to the form=Form() line.

I have tried running this code using the built in IronPython (listed as
> version 3.0.0.0) in Mono as well as running the 2.7.5 beta 3 version (using
> mono /Library/Frameworks/IronPython.framework/Versions/2.7.5/ipy.exe).
>
>  Both seem to hang at the exact same spot.

I get the same result, using a random checkout I have on my Mac. Also, the
version that comes with Mono is way out of date (and I thought they stopped
including it for that reason).

>  What am I missing? Is there something that I have not set up correctly
> in my Mac environment? Does this simply not work the way I am trying it?

I'm not sure how good Mono's WinForms implementation is, although something
that simple should work. I'd have to hook up a debugger to take a look; it
might be some interaction between IronPython and Mono that's causing the
issue.

>  Sorry for such a simple question.

It's not out of the question that you're the first person to try using
IronPython with WinForms on a Mac. Failing that, I believe Gtk# may also be
an option.

- Jeff