[Ironpython-users] Ironpython and Android

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 14:06:25 CET 2014

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM, Daniel Fernandez <fernandez_dan2 at hotmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi All,
>

> I was wondering if there is a plan to have IronPython supported on
> Android. I wanted to spend some time to help out in that arena. I am
> thinking about getting an Xamarin developer license but not sure where I to
> start. Is there somewhere I can look to see what areas need to be worked on
> for Android support? I’m just trying to figure out how to help out I’m
> basically  a newb in this area.

I did some work on it a while back, and it is possible to get it to run.
Xamarin has come a long way since then so it's probably even easier now.
However to make it really shine there needs to be some work done on the
internals (the Platform Adaptation Layer - PAL - is not consistently used
and doesn't cover everything) and I was more interested in saving that for
IronPython 3. I also want to make the core IronPython libraries
PCL-compatible, and have platform assemblies contain all of the
platform-specific stuff.

If you look in the build scripts (Solutions/Build.IronPython.xml is the
starting point) you can see all of the platform-specific accommodations. It
would just have to be extended to Android, and the proper FEATURE_ defines
added. IronPython 3 (https://github.com/IronLanguages/ironpython3) has a
nicer build system that should be a lot easier to work with.

I really, really want to see Android and iPhone versions of IronPython, so
any way to share the work is more than welcome.

- Jeff