[Ironpython-users] Fwd: weakref random "SystemError" and "ValueError" exception (affecting _weakrefset.py and abc.py)

Andres Sommerhoff sommerhoff at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 18:29:47 CEST 2015

Thank you Andrew, good to know you could replicate it. I went to very
similar workarround with __contains__(), but yours is more elegant with the
"while 1". However, I will recommend to repeat only a few times (to avoid a
possible endless loop) and to catch the two unexpected exception only
(SystemError,
ValueError). So I suggest the following workaround based in your proposal
should be:

    def __contains__(self, item):
        while 1:
            try:
                try:
                    wr = ref(item)
                except TypeError:
                    return False
                return wr in self.data
            except (SystemError, ValueError): #i.e: Don't
catch KeyboardInterrupt, MemoryError, etc
                try: i+=1
                except: i=0       # i declared here. Don't want waste
resource outside... (not Pythonic, I know)
                if i==10: raise   # Retry max 10 times and re-raise

However, would like if someone can debug the error in the C# code of
weakref. I'm afraid that the workaround will leave some potential error
open beside __contains__(). I see than inside _weakrefset.py the functions
add(), remove(), discard(), __isub__(), etc are also using the problematic
"ref()" function. The error could eventually happen there or even outside
_weakrefset.py.

Looking forward some IronPython Guru can check the c# code. I
will appreciate the help on that! In the meantime, I will use the
__contains__() as above, trying to tackle the most common case.

Regards,
Andres Sommerhoff