[Ironpython-users] Why is IP 3X slower than python 2.7?

John Trinder trinderjohn at talktalk.net
Mon Aug 24 23:36:57 CEST 2015

I've been doing some work with python 2.7 having digressed from
IronPython to which I shall be returning. The thing I notice most is
that python 2.7 is roughly 3X faster at executing than IP.

Why is this?

I know python27 compiles scripts into 'C' code => .pyc files and that IP
does not do this. But even so, IP must compile native code into NET code
which should run only slightly slower than python27.

Regards and thanks for a good NET implementation of python.