[Ironpython-users] struggling with Intellisense and GAC

Andrew Graham andy at agraham.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 9 20:01:34 CEST 2015

Is it Intellisense in  Python Tools for Visual Studio you are referring to?

If so my experience is that to obtain Intellisense you don’t need your DLLs in the GAC.

To see my custom DLL in my project I do four things.

1) Add the DLL or EXE Assemblies to References in your IronPython project (I’m not sure if this is essential)

2) Add the folder where the Assemblies are located to Search Paths in your IronPython project. This does seem to be essential.

3) Add “clr.AddReference(MyDllName”) to your code where the DLL path is in sys.path

4)Add “import ANamespaceInMyDll” or “from ANamespaceInMyDll import *” or similar.

Note that the C# namespace containing the Class definitions maps to an IronPython module.
You should now get Intellisense for each class in the imported Namespaces

Andy Graham