[Ironpython-users] issue with chardtect.detect with unicode type

Daniel Fernandez fernandez_dan2 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 4 13:17:22 CEST 2015

Hi All,

I'm playing with request but running into an issue with chardet.detect call.

def detect(aBuf):
    if ((version_info < (3, 0) and isinstance(aBuf, unicode)) or
            (version_info >= (3, 0) and not isinstance(aBuf, bytes))):
        raise ValueError('Expected a bytes object, not a unicode object')
    from . import universaldetector
    u = universaldetector.UniversalDetector()
    u.reset()
    u.feed(aBuf)
    u.close()
    return u.result

It always throws ValueError exception 'Expected a bytes object, not a unicode object'.  The problem is the isinstance(aBuff,unicode) which returns True for IronPython and not CPython.  I guess in IronPython strings are both a str and unicode types

>>> v = 'value'
>>> isinstance(v,unicode)
True
>>> isinstance(v,str)
True

I was wondering if this is expected behavior for IronPython? At the moment I just removed this check in my local copy so I get pass this issue with requests.

Thanks.