[Ironpython-users] Attracting new developers

Jeff Hardy jdhardy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 00:06:34 EST 2015

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 1:21 PM, Tim Orling <ticotimo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have no suggestions, but completely agree with the sentiment. In
> particular, I would love to see some traction on PEP-380
> <https://github.com/IronLanguages/ironpython3/issues/1>, since that is
> the first thing that came up when I tried to use IP3.
>
> I had a look at the code
> <https://github.com/IronLanguages/ironpython3/blob/master/Src/IronPython/Compiler/Ast/YieldExpression.cs>,
> but it's not obvious how to proceed, even after looking at the cpython
> code
> <https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/1fe0fd9feb6a4472a9a1b186502eb9c0b2366326/Python/Python-ast.c#L1982>.
> (Hence why jdhardy labels that issue "hard
> <http://blog.jdhardy.ca/2013/06/ironpython-3-todo.html>").
>
> I at least am willing to step in and help.

Dino had a patch the implements this already; hopefully he still has it
somewhere. I thought he had sent it to me but I can't find it.

Loosely speaking, Markus is on the right track; IronPython has a system for
rewriting ASTs that is already used to implement normal generators and can
be re-used for yield from (and also the async/await stuff in PEP-492).

- Jeff