[Ironpython-users] Licenses shipped with IronPython 2.7.5

Markus Schaber m.schaber at codesys.com
Wed Sep 23 08:57:08 CEST 2015

Hi, Jeff,

Von: Jeff Hardy [mailto:jdhardy at gmail.com]
> Sorry for the late reply!

No problem, I can also reply late :-)

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 2:44 AM, Markus Schaber <m.schaber at codesys.com> wrote:

> > it seems that the Licenses shipped with IronPython 2.7.5 are not
> > actually up to date.
> >
> > The License.StdLib.txt file seems to be 1:1 copied from the cPython
> > standard library, which is not appropriate, as IronPython does not
> > ship OpenSSL nor Berkeley DB, as far as I can see. On the other hand,
> > source files like the Xmlrpclibpy or validate.py come with their own
> > licenses which are not noted within said file.
>
> Boo. Sorry about that.

> > That means I’ll need to do a more thorough investigation as we’re
> > redistributing IronPython, and our lawyers want everything to be clean.
> >
> > Does any accurate license file for the standard library shipped with
> > IronPython 2.7.5 exist?
>
> Probably not.
>
> > If not, would you be interested in a contribution of such a file?
>
> Very much so!

See attached the two files we intend to ship with our redistribution
of IronPython 2.7.5 embedded into CODESYS.

I think they're not 1:1 appropriate to be shipped with pure IronPython
due to the introduction sentences at the top of each file, but I still
think they're an improvement over the current situation.

Feel free to modify and include them into IronPython (or tell me which
modifications are needed, so I can rework the file in the way you need it).

Btw, what do you think of providing an SPDX file with IronPython?
(I guess it will be much easier to do so unce upstream cPython provides
such files. See http://spdx.org/SPDX-specifications/spdx-version-2.0)

Best regards

Markus Schaber

CODESYS® a trademark of 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH

Inspiring Automation Solutions

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Dipl.-Inf. Markus Schaber | Product Development Core Technology
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany
Tel. +49-831-54031-979 | Fax +49-831-54031-50

E-Mail: m.schaber at codesys.com | Web: http://www.codesys.com | CODESYS store: http://store.codesys.com
CODESYS forum: http://forum.codesys.com

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner | Trade register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received
this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure
or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.