[Ironpython-users] Binding problem with default parameters in public classes

Markus Schaber m.schaber at codesys.com
Tue Aug 30 06:42:55 EDT 2016

Hi, all,

I just tested it with C#, with different results:

Using the dynamic keyword, it seems that C# using “dynamic” does not honor the optional parameter in any “inherited” case, it only works when the method implementation also provides the default parameter. ☹

This closely matches the behavior of the “normal” C# compiler, which delivers compiler errors in those cases – it works when I either have the interface or ABC as type, or the method implementation also has the default parameter declared. It also chooses the default value depending on the variable type.

Thus, it seems that C# is even more restrictive than IronPython right now, at least when the “dynamic” keyword is used.

Just as a side note, we successfully worked around the problem in our use case, so there is no urgent fix necessary, it was more some kind of curiosity of which semantics are considered “correct”. As changing anything might be a breaking change, I suggest we apply it only in 3.x (in case we fix anything).

The output of the extended, attached example is:

InternalImpl:
Internal: Param: 1 Text: mit text
Internal: Param: 2 Text: <defaultItf>
Internal: Param: 11 Text: See Sharp!
Keine Überladung für die DoSomething-Methode nimmt 1-Argumente an.
Internal: Param: 21 Text: <defaultItf>

PublicImpl:
Public: Param: 1 Text: mit text
DoSomething() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)
Public: Param: 11 Text: See Sharp!
Keine Überladung für die DoSomething-Methode nimmt 1-Argumente an.
Public: Param: 21 Text: <defaultItf>

PublicImplWithDefault:
PublicDefault: Param: 1 Text: mit text
PublicDefault: Param: 2 Text: <defaultImpl>
PublicDefault: Param: 11 Text: See Sharp!
PublicDefault: Param: 12 Text: <defaultImpl>
PublicDefault: Param: 21 Text: <defaultItf>
PublicDefault: Param: 24 Text: <defaultImpl>
PublicDefault: Param: 28 Text: <defaultImpl>

PublicAbcInternalImpl:
InternalABC: Param: 1 Text: mit text
InternalABC: Param: 2 Text: <defaultABC>
InternalABC: Param: 11 Text: See Sharp!
Keine Überladung für die DoSomething-Methode nimmt 1-Argumente an.
InternalABC: Param: 25 Text: <defaultABC>

PublicAbcPublicImpl:
PublicABC: Param: 1 Text: mit text
DoSomething() takes exactly 2 arguments (1 given)
PublicABC: Param: 11 Text: See Sharp!
Keine Überladung für die DoSomething-Methode nimmt 1-Argumente an.
PublicABC: Param: 25 Text: <defaultABC>

PublicAbcPublicImplWithDefault:
PublicABC: Param: 1 Text: mit text
PublicABC: Param: 2 Text: <defaultImpl>
PublicABC: Param: 11 Text: See Sharp!
PublicABC: Param: 12 Text: <defaultImpl>
PublicABC: Param: 25 Text: <defaultABC>

Best regards

Markus Schaber

CODESYS® a trademark of 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH

Inspiring Automation Solutions
________________________________
3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Dipl.-Inf. Markus Schaber | Product Development Core Technology
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany
Tel. +49-831-54031-979 | Fax +49-831-54031-50

E-Mail: m.schaber at codesys.com<mailto:m.schaber at codesys.com> | Web: codesys.com<http://www.codesys.com> | CODESYS store: store.codesys.com<http://store.codesys.com>
CODESYS forum: forum.codesys.com<http://forum.codesys.com>

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner | Trade register: Kempten HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915
This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received
this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure
or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.