[Ironpython-users] Getting IronPython 2.7.X on .NET Core

Mukul Sabharwal mjsabby at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 16:42:28 EDT 2016

Hello All,

Sort of a lurking IronPython user, but I wanted to reach out to the
community on some work I've been wanting to do for a while now -
getting IronPython 2.7.X to run on .NET Core.

I've done preliminary analysis of IronPython and its dependencies
(excluding the AspNet and WPF stuff) and I believe getting 2.7.X to
run on .NET Core wouldn't be an astronomical amount of work.

The major themes of the issues are:

(1) Project Setup
(2) FEATURE_REMOTING
(3) FEATURE_WPF
(4) Debugging

== Project Setup

Today .NET Core supports a couple of different ways to setup projects,
the traditional csproj and an xproj setup. The tooling from Visual
Studio is integrated well for xproj, but the direction .NET Core is
moving in is to use csproj hence forth. So, in my mind using csproj
makes complete sense, and while the documentation is a bit sparse we
could setup csproj today to make .NET Core projects

== FEATURE_REMOTING

This feature is not provided the cross-platform CoreCLR runtime, so
.NET Core support will invariably not be able to have this.

== FEATURE_WPF

APIs around WPF are not available on .NET Core. I haven't dug deep as
to what IronPython.WPF really does but suffice to say it won't be part
of the .NET Core build either.

== Debugging

This one maybe tricky to resolve just yet. The problem is that the
support for debugging runtime generated code is supplied by the CLR,
and is somewhat linked to the native debug format on Windows (PDB).
There maybe some challenges here around saving assemblies as well, but
it's possible to maneuver this space later on.

I'm not familiar with IronPython 3's development status, hence I'm
leaving that out specifically from my work, but I suspect it would be
similar work to get it ready.

And finally, if there are other interested members who are also
interested in helping out or doing more here please let me know.

P.S. - I'm not very familiar with IronPython's rules of engagement,
i.e  if mailing list is better or the GitHub pages, etc. So feel free
to point me in a certain direction.

Mukul