[Madison] Saying Goodbye (to Meetup)

Ian Cordasco graffatcolmingov at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 20:28:31 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

Long story short, December will be the last MadPUG.

Recently both Cea and I have moved house. We both now live well over
30 minutes away making the commute into Madison onerous. We've
recently learned that as organizers we're not really meeting the needs
of all the members. As we're already stretched thin and growing more
disconnected from the Madison area it is clear that we need to call it
quits.

During September's meetup many expressed their needs and desires for
MadPUG. We think most of these needs are better suited to a mailing
list where people can organize tiny events themselves rather than a
meetup group. We had been discussing shutting down MadPUG long before
this, but September's meeting made it certain that we can't organize
the diverse set of events people want.

We are not providing the option for someone to take over the meetup
for multiple reasons. The primary one is what we've already said: a
python meetup group in Madison does not serve what its attendees want
(and indeed, what they want can either be served by the mailing list
or by one of the other meetups already organized in town). Second, we
are committed to enforcing a Code of Conduct and refuse to hand off
the meetup group to anyone that isn't as passionate about it as we
are. Given the response to the Code of Conduct when it was introduced,
we do not believe any interested parties would come forward. We do not
want the group to continue without a Code of Conduct because it has
had one for years and its removal would introduce confusion and an
unsafe environment for those that depend on its presence.

You can join the mailing list via
https://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/madison. November and
December's meetups will be organized via that mailing list and will
purely be social meetings compliant with our Code of Conduct (the
library reservations exist for your use for those two months only).

Best,
Ian & Cea

P.S.

This was originally sent to the users of meetup.com who subscribed to
organizer messages.