[Mailman-Announce] Mailman 1.0

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@cnri.reston.va.us (Barry A. Warsaw)
Fri, 30 Jul 1999 19:22:16 -0400 (EDT)

On behalf of the rest of the Mailman Cabal, I'm very happy (and
somewhat relieved) to announce the release of Mailman 1.0.  I've just
uploaded the tarball to www.list.org so follow the links there to
download it.

Mailman -- the GNU Mailing List Manager -- is software to help manage
email discussion lists, much like Majordomo and Smartmail. Unlike most
similar products, Mailman gives each mailing list a web page, and
allows users to subscribe, unsubscribe, etc. over the web. Even the
list manager can administer his or her list entirely from the
web. Mailman also integrates most things people want to do with
mailing lists, including archiving, mail-to-news gateways, and so on.

Mailman is written almost completely in Python (there's a little bit
of C for security purposes).  Mailman is distributed under the terms
of the GPL.

From the NEWS file, here are the list of changes since 1.0rc3:

- Configure script now allows $PREFIX (by default /home/mailman) to be
  permissions 02755.  Also, configure now tests for vsnprintf()

- Workaround, taken from GNU screen, for systems missing vsnprintf()

- Return-Receipt-To: and Disposition-Notification-To: headers are
  always removed from posted messages (they can be used to troll for
  list membership).

- Workaround for MSIE4.01 (and possibly other versions) bug in the
  handling of cookies.

- A small collection of other bug fixes.

Enjoy,
-Barry

List Manager. (30-Jul-1999)