[Mailman-Announce] ANNOUNCE: The GNU Mailman 3 suite, beta 1 preview

Barry Warsaw barry at list.org
Thu Apr 24 16:19:38 CEST 2014

Hello Mailman enthusiasts!

    Time and motion
    Wind and sun and rain
    Days connect like boxcars in a train

Another Pycon has come and gone and with it, another fantastic sprint among
the core developers.  We accomplished quite a bit, and now we'd like to share
the results with you.  On behalf of the Mailman development team, I am happy
to announce the first beta release of the full Mailman 3 suite.

This release includes:

 * Postorius 1.0.0b1 (Year of the Parrot), our new Django-based web user
   interface for list owners and list members.

 * HyperKitty 1.0.0b1, the fantastic new Django-based archiver.

 * Mailman Core 3.0b4 (Time and Motion), the mailing list engine and
   administrative REST API.

 * The mailman-bundler package 3.0b1, a helpful buildout-based tool for
   putting it all together.

We're very excited to finally be able to announce this preview of the entire
suite of tools, and we hope you'll give it a try.  As with any beta software,
we give a word of caution should you be adventurous enough to want to try it
in production.  There are surely bugs and missing features, but we feel
confident enough to encourage you to play with the system and provide us with
feedback, bug reports, suggestions, and above all, contributions!

Each project is separately downloadable from the Python Cheeseshop, and links
are provided below.  Perhaps the best way to begin is to grab the bundler,
unpack it and, follow the directions included in the bundle.  It should work
on most modern *nixes with Python 2.7.

You can download the bundler tarball from:

    https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mailman-bundler/3.0b1

See below for links to the individual project pages, bug report packages, and
package documentation.  The best place to discuss Mailman 3 is on the
mailman-developers mailing list, or on IRC via the freenode #mailman channel.

Enjoy!
-Barry
(On behalf of the entire GNU Mailman development team)

P.S. My personal, deepest thanks to Florian, Terri, Aurélien, Mark, John, and
Piotr for coming to Pycon, working hard and joyfully at the sprints, sharing
friendly meals and tea shop excursions, and to Steve who wasn't able to make
it in person, and also to all the contributors to the project who make the
code better and the community an honor to be a part of.

Postorius
    project  - https://launchpad.net/postorius
    bugs     - https://bugs.launchpad.net/postorius
    download - https://pypi.python.org/pypi/postorius/1.0.0b1
    docs     - http://pythonhosted.org//postorius/

HyperKitty
    project  - https://fedorahosted.org/hyperkitty/
    bugs     - https://fedorahosted.org/hyperkitty/report
    download - https://pypi.python.org/pypi/HyperKitty/1.0
    docs     - https://hyperkitty.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

Core
    project  - https://launchpad.net/mailman
    bugs     - https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman/+bugs?field.tag=mailman3
    download - https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mailman/3.0.0b4
    docs     - http://pythonhosted.org/mailman/

Bundler
    project  - https://launchpad.net/mailman-bundler
    bugs     - https://bugs.launchpad.net/mailman-bundler
    download - https://pypi.python.org/pypi/mailman-bundler/3.0b1
    docs     - README.rst (in the unpacked tarball)