[Mailman-Announce] Mailman 2.1.18 final release
mark at msapiro.net
Sat May 3 20:30:36 CEST 2014
I'm pleased to announce the final release for Mailman 2.1.18.
This release has new features to help with mitigation of the impacts of
DMARC on mailing lists as well as fixing several bugs.
Python 2.4 is the minimum supported, but Python 2.7 is recommended.
There are significant new i18n strings associated with the DMARC
mitigation features. If you are interested in helping with the
translations of these strings, see <http://wiki.list.org/x/MQ>.
There is also a new dependency associated with these features. Namely,
the new Privacy options -> Sender filters -> dmarc_moderation_action
feature requires that the dnspython <http://www.dnspython.org/> package
be available in Python.
See the attached README for more details.
Mailman is free software for managing email mailing lists and
e-newsletters. Mailman is used for all the python.org and
SourceForge.net mailing lists, as well as at hundreds of other sites.
For more information, please see:
Mailman 2.1.18 can be downloaded from
Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
-------------- next part --------------
- There is a new dependency associated with the new Privacy options ->
Sender filters -> dmarc_moderation_action feature discussed below.
This requires that the dnspython <http://www.dnspython.org/> package
be available in Python. This package can be downloaded from the above
site or from the CheeseShop <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/dnspython/>
or installed with pip.
- The from_is_list feature introduced in 2.1.16 is now unconditionally
available to list owners. There is also, a new Privacy options ->
Sender filters -> dmarc_moderation_action feature which applies to list
messages where the From: address is in a domain which publishes a DMARC
policy of reject or possibly quarantine. This is a list setting with
values of Accept, Wrap Message, Munge From, Reject or Discard. There is
a new DEFAULT_DMARC_MODERATION_ACTION configuration setting to set the
default for this, and the list admin UI is not able to set an action
which is 'less' than the default. The prior ALLOW_FROM_IS_LIST setting
has been removed and is effectively always Yes. There is a new
dmarc_quarantine_moderation_action list setting with default set by a
new DEFAULT_DMARC_QUARANTINE_MODERATION_ACTION configuration setting
which in turn defaults to Yes. The list setting can be set to No to
exclude domains with DMARC policy of quarantine from
dmarc_moderation_action and from_is_list interact in the following way.
If the message is From: a domain to which dmarc_moderation_action applies
and if dmarc_moderation_action is other than Accept,
dmarc_moderation_action applies to that message. Otherwise the
from_is_list action applies.
Also associated with dmarc_moderation_action are configuration settings
DMARC_RESOLVER_TIMEOUT and DMARC_RESOLVER_LIFETIME. These are described
in more detail in Defaults.py. There are also new vette log entries
written when dmarc_moderation_action is found to apply to a post.
- Added missing <mm-digest-question-start> tag to French listinfo template.
Bug Fixes and other patches
- Removed HTML tags from the title of a couple of rmlist.py pages because
browsers don't render tags in the title. (LP: #265848)
- Most Mailman generated notices to list owners and moderators are now
sent as Precedence: list instead of bulk. (LP: #1313146)
- The Reply-To: munging options weren't honored if there was no
from_is_list action. (LP: #1313010)
- Changed from_is_list actions to insert the list address in Cc: if the
list is fully personalized. Otherwise, the list address is only in
From: and Reply-To: overrides it. (LP: #1312970)
- Fixed the Munge From action to only Munge the From: and/or Reply-To: in
the outgoing message and not in archives, digests and messages sent via
the usenet gateway. (LP: #1311431)
- Fixed a long standing issue in which a notice sent to a user whose
language is other than that of the list can cause subsequent things
which should be in the list's language to be in the user's language
instead. (LP: #1308655)
- Fixed the admin Membership List so a search string if any is not lost
when visiting subsequent fragments of a chunked list. (LP: #1307454)
- For from_is_list feature, use email address from original From: if
original From: has no display name and strip domain part from resultant
names that look like email addresses. (LP: #1304511)
- Added the list name to the vette log "held message approved" entry.
- Added the CGI module name to various "No such list" error log entries.
- Modified contrib/mmdsr to report module name if present in "No such list
error log entries.
- Fixed a NameError exception in cron/nightly_gzip when it tries to print
the usage message. (LP: #1291038)
- Fixed a bug in ListAdmin._handlepost that would crash when trying to
preserve a held message for the site admin if HOLD_MESSAGES_AS_PICKLES
is False. (LP: #1282365)
- The from_is_list header munging feature introduced in Mailman 2.1.16 is
no longer erroneously applied to Mailman generated notices.
- Changed the message from the confirm CGI to not indicate approval is
required for an acceptance of an invitation. (LP: #1277744)
- Fixed POSTFIX_STYLE_VIRTUAL_DOMAINS to be case-insensitiive.
- Added recognition for another simple warning to bounce processing.
- Fixed a few failing tests in tests/test_handlers.py. (LP: #1262950)
- Fixed bin/arch to not create scrubbed attachments for messages skipped
when processing the --start= option. (LP: #1260883)
- Fixed email address validation to do a bit better in obscure cases.
- Fixed a bug which caused some authentication cookies to expire too soon
if AUTHENTICATION_COOKIE_LIFETIME is non-zero. (LP: #1257112)
- Fixed a possible TypeError in bin/sync_members introduced in 2.1.17.
- Added to the contrib directory, a script from Alain Williams to count
posts in a list's archive.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 198 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the Mailman-announce