[ mailman-Bugs-714156 ] list_members fails on addresses with high-bit (?) characters

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 2 12:19:57 EST 2003

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=714156&group_id=103

Category: command line scripts
Group: 2.1 (stable)

Initial Comment:
Version: Mailman 2.1.1

Dear Brilliant Mailman People,

I'm somewhat urgently trying to export lists from our old machine
(which shuts down at the end of the week) to a brand new server.

I've created the lists on the new machine, and am trying to use
list_members to export the people, so I can re-import them on
the new box.

However, list_members is apparently failing on any address with
high-bit ("funky") characters, and it appears we have quite a few
out of our 100,000+ addresses.

Here's the error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./list_members", line 232, in ?
    main()
  File "./list_members", line 207, in main
    s = formataddr((name, addr)).encode(enc, 'replace')
UnicodeError: ASCII decoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

Knowing absolutely nothing about Python, I put an extra "print" in
that function to see what address it was dying on. Here it is:

[root at posh bin]# ./list_members transmit-e
000049941552520092563390-0001 at t-online.de
000049941552520092563390-0001 at t-online.de
007-orange at hanmail.net
007-orange at hanmail.net
[...]
1999818 at hitel.net
1999818 at hitel.net
1 at 1.com
1 at 1.com
1 at 1.ä??
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./list_members", line 234, in ?
    main()
  File "./list_members", line 209, in main
    s = formataddr((name, addr)).encode(enc, 'replace')
UnicodeError: ASCII decoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

So it looks like 1 at 1.ä[something] at least one problem address.

Is there any way I can work around this bug until an official
update?

Just deleting the problem members isn't as easy as it seems (the
list is hardcoded to 'www.panic.com', and all the admin forms are
pointing to that, but www.panic.com is now the new machine...)

Thanks for looking at this!