[ mailman-Bugs-730814 ] HTML stripped regardless of filters

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Mon May 12 08:11:37 EDT 2003

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by hallcp
You can respond by visiting:

Category: mail delivery

Initial Comment:
If I enable "content-filtering", HTML is a;ways
stripped out regardless of my other filter settings. I
have tried to track this down and it appears that
MimeDel.py is collapsing ALL multi-part emails to
a single component. This leaves the plain text but
strips off the HTML flavored portion.

If I disable content-filtering, MimeDel is
neutralized and HTML email works OK.

The suspect function
is "collapse_multipart_alternatives".

FYI: my test emails were sent from Outlook.

I posted and emailed to others on the Users mailing
list, but no one responded that they have gotten
filtering to work either.

This looks like a real nice feature. I hope you guys
can fix it.

Date: 2003-05-12 14:11

Logged In: YES

Barry, thanks for the comment. You may be correct. I was
sending email with a plain/text and text/html component. If
I understand you, this feature was  designed to selectively
filter "EXE" or "ZIP" attachments, not HTML vs plaintext.
  Can you point me to the docs on this? And how do I convert
this bug to a feature request? Or do I just delete? (Can I?).
  Thanks again for the info.

Comment By: Barry A. Warsaw (bwarsaw)
Date: 2003-05-12 04:32

Logged In: YES

When you say "collapsing ALLmulti-part emails to a single
component", I think you mean all multipart/alternatives.  If
so, this is documented behavior.

Now, it may not be /desired/ behavior, but that's a
different issue. I would move this to feature requests to
allow you to configure whether multipart/alternatives are
collapsed or not.

Please follow up here and let me know if I'm correct or not.
 If there are other problems with content filtering from
mailman-users, please submit bug reports on each indivdiually.