[ mailman-Bugs-825143 ] build with multiple submake jobs fails

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 25 12:06:00 EST 2003

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by bwarsaw
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=825143&group_id=103

Category: configuring/installing
Group: 2.1 (stable)

Initial Comment:
Well, it doesn't so much fail, as it quietly screws up
many a binary. On a Solaris 9 machine with four
processors, I set:

MAKE="gmake -j4"

...and proceed to configure/build mailman. No errors.
Nothing creeps up until I try to use the binaries in
cgi-bin. Depending on the time of day, cosmic rays,
etc., several of the binaries will all end up being the
same file; for example, the "admin" wrapper will really
be another copy of the "create" wrapper. This seems to
happen with at least half of them, and the arrangement
is random each time I do it.

The solution was simple:

MAKE="gmake"

...reconfigure, rebuild, reinstall. Everything was
exactly as it should be. Somewhere in the relevant
makefile, -jN needs to be disabled.