[ mailman-Bugs-975145 ] Description of -owner field is wrong

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Thu Jun 24 03:49:46 EDT 2004

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by hgerstung
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=975145&group_id=103

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
In the web interface, list administration section "General
options" there is a field called "umbrella_member_suffix",
which is "-owner" by default.

In the detailed help for this field it reads:
When "umbrella_list" is set to indicate that this list has
other mailing lists as members, then administrative
notices like confirmations and password reminders need
to not be sent to the member list addresses, but rather
to the owner of those member lists. In that case, the
value of this setting is appended to the member's
account name for such notices. `-owner' is the typical
choice. This setting has no effect when "umbrella_list"
is "No".

The last sentence indicates that this field is not used
anywhere when the field umbrella_list is set to No. This
is wrong, because the owner address is used in
automatic replies sent to non-subscripted users trying to
send a mail to the list, which is automatically rejected.

So, I see two possibilities:
Change the description of the field, saying that this
suffix also is used for building the list owner address
(e.g. list "xxx" means a xxx-owner at domain mail address)
or (my favourite way) introduce a new field for setting
up a list owner address AND be able to edit this "your
message has been rejected" mail message (e.g. using a
template for this), because even when I edit the
LC_MESSAGES file, I have no chance to edit the english
texts without diving into the sources, which makes
upgrades a crap.

Great software, keep on!
Kind regards,
Heiko