[ mailman-Feature Requests-957159 ] Adding POP3 to Eliminate 127.0.0.1

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed May 19 20:55:14 EDT 2004

Feature Requests item #957159, was opened at 2004-05-19 17:55
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350103&aid=957159&group_id=103

Initial Comment:
Looking to add POP3 availablity to Mailman. If
SMTPHOST = 'mydomain.com' and the system can POP,
this removes the extra "Received: from localhost
([127.0.0.1] helo=mail.python.org)
	by mail.python.org with esmtp (Exim 4.34)
	id 111111-000249-4x"
that many ISP's and SPAM filters block.  (Some
mailservers even say "helo=localhost at localdomain".) I
figure that if it was out in SMTPDirect.py after:
"except smtplib.SMTPException:"
and then restarts the send procedure that would work.
(Many email servers, i.e. Exim, Qmail only need to be
popped every thirty minutes or so to keep the
connection alive.  No sense in doing it every time.)

The poplib-example-1 (attached)
shows how to pop but I cannot figure out the restarting
without losing messages.