[ mailman-Bugs-1151439 ] Mailman apparently converts \r\n to \n\n

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 25 00:13:11 CET 2005

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=1151439&group_id=103

Category: mail delivery
Group: 2.1 (stable)

Initial Comment:
We are working with the Savane tracking system.

It sends a message using Unix newlines \n, except that
the core of the message, sent via a web form, uses CRLF
\r\n.
In this case, we receive correct personal
notifications, but notifications sent to the list end
up with CRLF converted to double Unix \n\n.

I modified the Savane code and replaced all [^\r]\n by
\r\n before to send the message. Same result: all \r\n
converted to Unix \n, despite the fact there was not
any Unix \n left.

I then tried to do the opposite, replace all \r\n by
\n. It worked as expected, no newlines duplicated.

Again, in all cases, the personal notifications, not
sent via a Mailman-managed mailing list, were ok.
Apparently a mail system transparently converted CRLF
to LF at a point.

http://ietf.org/rfc/rfc0821.txt is not very clear but
suggests that in SMTP the DATA section should use CRLF.
So apparently Mailman does not have a good behavior and
should convert CRLF to LF instead of LFLF.

What do you think?

Savane-related bug report:
https://gna.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=1980