[ mailman-Bugs-1090208 ] Password reminder bug (wrong "From" address, etc)

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 17 01:27:48 CET 2005

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by tkikuchi
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=1090208&group_id=103

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Summary of bug: On a system with multiple domains and
multiple lists, the password reminder sometimes contains
information about a list to which the user is not
subscribed, or in some cases, about a list that does not
exist. Likewise, the "From" address of the password
reminder can be incorrect.

Details:

The cron script "mailpasswds" contains the following
code:
            siteowner = Utils.get_site_email(host, 'owner')
            sitereq = Utils.get_site_email(host, 'request')
            sitebounce = Utils.get_site_email
(host, 'bounces')

The problem is, this code is oblivious to the user's actual
subscriptions.
On a CPanel server, for example, it always defaults to
mailman-owner at host, etc.
This results in confusion among users.

Since the "From" address of the reminder is mailman-
owner at host and that address is also referenced in the
mail, users send their questions to that address -- which
may go to the server administrator, or to nobody at all,
instead of the appropriate list owner.

On my setup (a CPanel system) the following
replacement code appears to correct most of the
problem (in combination with an "import string"
statement near the top of the script):
            siteowner = string.replace ( listaddr, '@', '-
owner@' )
            sitereq = string.replace ( listaddr, '@', '-
request@' )
            sitebounce = string.replace ( listaddr, '@', '-
bounces@' )

I have not tested it thoroughly, but I think it corrects
the siteowner and sitereq values.

(For some reason the corrected sitebounce address does
not have any effect. The reminder messages still have a
return-path of mailman-bounces at servername instead of
the appropriate listname-bounces at host. But, I don't
think this matters as much as making sure the siteowner
and sitereq addresses are correct.)

Thank you!