[ mailman-Bugs-1244726 ] Automatic Aliases for Sendmail

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Mon Jul 25 21:24:55 CEST 2005

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=1244726&group_id=103

Initial Comment:
Preface: I hate sendmail, and won't use it in my next system - but
it is soooo encrusted in my old FreeBSD box that I don't dare try
to replace it.

I looked at the contrib stuff for automating sendmail alias, and it
made my head hurt.

In Defaults.py I added the line:
SENDMAIL_ALIAS_CMD = '/usr/local/bin/newaliases'
and I set
MTA = 'Sendmail'

I changed the following line in my sendmail.cf:
O AliasFile=/etc/mail/aliases
O AliasFile=/etc/mail/aliases,/etc/mail/mailman

I HUP'd sendmail.

I added the attached file (Sendmail.py) to Mailman/MTA

I can now run newlist and rmlist as root and have them do the
right thing.  I can NOT use the web interface to add/delete lists
because of user permissions.

Things that should be mentioned:
This works on my oldish FreeBSD box (4.X).
Which is running not new sendmail (8.12.X).
I am not a python coder, really - I just wanted to make this work.
Cleanup needed.

But it does work.