[ mailman-Feature Requests-1213056 ] list of allowed addresses under privacy options

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 1 23:03:38 CEST 2005

Feature Requests item #1213056, was opened at 2005-06-01 14:03
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350103&aid=1213056&group_id=103

Initial Comment:
Under "Privacy options" it would be have more options for banning/
allowing subscribers.  The ban_list is good, but if a list admin is
looking to restrict membership to a handful of domains, the regular
expression gets cumbersome (trying to invert certain portions of the
regular expression).  I implemented a regex example that I found on
the web and  thought that I had it working, only to check it once
more and find out that nobody could subscribe.

One system would be to have an admin configureable setting to
have either a ban_list or an allow_only_list (maybe even just one
flag that changes the usage of the ban_list to be more of a ban
except from list).  That is, if an address is not in the list, ban it.

A more elaborate setup could be something more like the sender
filters (ie: take one action if the address is specifically allowed to
subscribe, take another if the address is specifically banned and
take yet another action if the address falls through both conditions).
This more elaborate configuration would require more additional
config entries (??? allow_list, allow_list_action, ban_list_action,
other_action).