[ mailman-Bugs-1221451 ] privacy issue with subscribers on deferred status

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Jun 15 21:39:50 CEST 2005

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by bwarsaw
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=1221451&group_id=103

Category: security/privacy
Group: 2.1 (stable)

Initial Comment:
I own a mailman listserver which is hosted on
Dreamhost and they are currently running ver. 2.1.5 of
mailman.

My list is set to require approval of membership
requests, which sends the requesters into a "deferred"
status in the "Tend to Pending Moderator Requests"
area.

I've discovered recently that individuals on "Deferred"
status CAN in fact post to my list, and their postings are
seen by all approved members. The individuals
on "Deferred" status do not receive the postings
themselves, however.

Is this right? Shouldn't an individual who is
marked "Deferred" not be able to post until being
approved? This prevents me from ever stopping
individuals who would send malicious posts to my list
from allowing them to do so.

My list is a high volume list and increasing the level of
moderation would be cumbersome.

Is there a way to ensure that members can't post to a
list until they are approved, or is this problem an actual
bug in the software?

Thanks.