[ mailman-Bugs-1268939 ] host_name tag doesn't allow IP addresses

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 9 02:14:26 CET 2005

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by msapiro
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=1268939&group_id=103

Category: mail delivery
Group: 2.1 (stable)

Initial Comment:
Hello.

I have realised that we cannot put an IP address in
the 'host_name' tag. Normally, we can send an e-mail
from a client to a server that doesn't have a domain
name by just putting it's IP address into square
brackets like this:
john@[142.56.2.72]
This works, especially if you have put the same IP
address on the destination server in your /etc/mail/local-
host-names file on one line (for Sendmail):
[142.56.2.72]

Now the problem is that if we specify the IP address
into square brackets in the 'host_name' tag, then the
resolved hostname is returned in the e-mail address
instead of this square brackets IP address.
I have tried several backslashes like '', [], "", %5B and %
5D but nothing does.

Square brackets are still correct to the standard, so I
think that this is a bug.

Regards,
Daniel