[ mailman-Patches-1123383 ] Daily Status Report script...

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Sep 6 16:06:37 CEST 2005

Patches item #1123383, was opened at 2005-02-15 20:14
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by shub
You can respond by visiting: 

Please note that this message will contain a full copy of the comment thread,
including the initial issue submission, for this request,
not just the latest update.
Category: list administration
Group: Mailman 2.1
Status: Open
Resolution: None
Priority: 5
Submitted By: Brad Knowles (shub)
Assigned to: Nobody/Anonymous (nobody)
Summary: Daily Status Report script...

Initial Comment:

I quickly whacked together a Daily Status Report script for 
Mailman (using Bourne shell, not Python ;), and thought that other 
folks might be interested in seeing it.

The basic concept is a program that gets fired off at 23:59 every 
night, and goes through a variety of log files looking for entries 
specific to that date, and indicating problems or certain types of 
activity that might be of interest to someone trying to administer 
the server.  It also does an "ls -la" of /usr/local/mailman/qfiles/*, 
so that you can see what is in the queue at the time of the running 
of the script.

My concept was that this daily report would get e-mailed to the 
admin, or posted to a "reports" mailing list, where they could be 
archived and kept for future reference.

The script does not (yet) do any statistics calculations, although it 
should be relatively easy to hack together some basic stats using 
awk, sort, etc....

Anyway, I thought I'd share it and let folks take a look at it, and if 
anyone has any recommended improvements, we can incorporate 
those and share them back out with everyone.

The code is written under a BSD-style license, so if you don't want 
to contribute any changes back to me, that's okay.  Of course, I 
would prefer that you did, but I leave the choice up to you.


>Comment By: Brad Knowles (shub)
Date: 2005-09-06 14:06

Logged In: YES 

Okay, I've deleted the old version of the mmdsr script that was attached, 
and uploaded the latest version.  This is what we're currently using to 
monitor the lists on python.org, and we have found it very useful.

Any comments you may have will be appreciated.


Comment By: Brad Knowles (shub)
Date: 2005-02-22 20:10

Logged In: YES 

The UID variable in the current code was already replaced by MYUID, 
because I got complaints on other platforms.  But UID wasn't available to 
me as a useful constant, so I had to use something else to obtain the 

The recommended patch from tgc99 does work, and I will be uploading a 
new version of the code soon.


Comment By: adrianwi (adrianwi)
Date: 2005-02-22 15:22

Logged In: YES 

Use of variable named UID does work well with OS X (version
10.2.8).  Apparently the variable UID is a constant already
in use.  When trying to the run the script without
modification, I was receiving the following error message:

UID: readonly variable

This issue was resolved by changing the name of variable,
UID, to something else, such as MMUID.  Works fine with this

As an aside (& for what it is worth), the UID grab command
suggested by tgc99 on 2005-02-16 03:15 works on this system
(OS X - version 10.2.8)


Comment By: Tom G. Christensen (tgc99)
Date: 2005-02-16 08:15

Logged In: YES 

The current UID grab command doesn't work on Solaris (2.6 &
8 tested).

I'd recommend this instead:
ps -o user -p $$|tail -1

This is tested and works on RH 6.2, RH 7.3, RHEL 2.1, RHEL3,
FC3, FreeBSD 4.9, Solaris 2.6, 8.


You can respond by visiting: 

More information about the Mailman-coders mailing list