[ mailman-Bugs-1531675 ] ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX=1 broken

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Aug 1 03:51:45 CEST 2006

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by msapiro
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=1531675&group_id=103

Category: configuring/installing
Group: None

Initial Comment:
While looking into an archiving problem on
mail.gnome.org, where we use our own external archiver
(ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX was set to 1), Owen Taylor discovered
the following bug causing it to ignore this setting:

>From /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py:

# ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX
#-1 - do not do any archiving
# 0 - do not archive to mbox, use builtin mailman html
archiving only
# 1 - archive to mbox to use an external archiving
mechanism only
# 2 - archive to both mbox and builtin mailman html
archiving -
#     use this to make both external archiving
mechanism work and
#     mailman's builtin html archiving.  the flat mail
file can be
#     useful for searching, external archivers, etc.
ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX = 2

Now, while that's not particularly clear, I can
certainly see why one might assume that we wanted a
setting, of '1', but if you look at the code we see:

        if mm_cfg.ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX in (1, 2):
            self.__archive_to_mbox(msg)
            if mm_cfg.ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX == 1:
                # Archive to mbox only.
                return
        txt = str(msg)
        # should we use the internal or external archiver?
        [...]

So, ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX=1 skips both the internal *and*
external archivers, and archives only to the MBOX files.