[ mailman-Feature Requests-1533331 ] support moving lists to another mailman instance

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Wed Aug 2 19:27:07 CEST 2006

Feature Requests item #1533331, was opened at 2006-08-02 17:27
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350103&aid=1533331&group_id=103

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
I'm having to move a project off a hosting site that
uses Mailman, and have discovered to my shock that
there is no easy way to capture a snapshot of the list
state and re-instantiate it on another Mailman instance.

While this remains the case, Mailman is a prison for my
data.  The only way I could get even the subscriber
list was by tedious screen-scraping of the membership
management CGI, made more tedious because the interface
only wants to show me the subscriber list in small
chunks.

Breaking up the list archives by month is all very well
but I want to be able to get all of the traffic -- and
I want to be able to upload it into another Mailman
instance.

I gave up on metadata such as hide and digest bits
entirely; there's no equivalent of mass subscribe that
would let me set those, I'd have to patch them in by
hand per each subscriber address in the new list
instance.

The *correct* design would be to allow me to download
one file that's an XML document containing subscriber
list, metadata such as digest and hide bits, and the
traffic.  That blob should be uploadable to another
Mailman instance in a way that simply re-instantiates
the list.