[ mailman-Bugs-1610511 ] Cannot access old lists after delete/recreate of site list

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 9 13:16:59 CET 2006

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by mikelempriere
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=1610511&group_id=103

Category: configuring/installing
Group: 2.1 (stable)

Initial Comment:
I'm running Mailman 2.1.7 on FreeBSD 5.4, using sendmail.   I've had the system configured and it's been running multiple lists for years.
Then, in the name of security ("don't use it, turn it off"), I clobbered the "mailman" list which I didn't realize I needed...
Ok, so, I'm an idiot -- I should have gone with the other maxim "don't fix it if it ain't broke"...

I clobbered the list using 'rmlist'.

Upon my next restart of mailman, I got a "site list is missing" error.  A quick web search found my answer, namely that the "mailman" list is required.

I used "newlist" to create a new one.  Yay, I was now able to restart mailman with no error!

I then created some new lists, and was able to web manage them just fine.

However, here's where it goes bad -- I can no longer get in to the web manager for any of the lists that were created before I blew away the "mailman" list.  The web browser simply hangs awaiting server reply upon my hitting the login button.

I can get into the new "mailman" list, and have subscribed myself to it.

I have checked the mm_cfg.py and it is unchanged from mm_cfg.py.dist (only the import of default settings).

Help!

(And Thanks in advance)