[ mailman-Bugs-1256272 ] NNTP gatewaying trashes Message-IDs

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 12 21:12:34 CET 2006

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by poelzi
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=1256272&group_id=103

Category: nntp/news
Group: 2.1 (stable)

Initial Comment:
when a message is relayed to NNTP, the NewsRunner
unconditionally replaces the existing Message-ID with
its own.  this breaking threading when reading a list
via news, and when an NNTP user replies to a list message.

a better solution would be either:
1) do not rewrite the message-id unless the NNTP server
reports an error when posting it (duplicate ID); or
2) optionally, always rewrite posters' message-ids into
a mailman-generated ID, and use this ID for both mail
and news.

i have implemented the former at our site and it
appears to work, but it's so ugly i'd not feel
comfortable submitting a patch for it.

Comment By: Daniel Poelzleithner (poelzi)