[ mailman-Patches-943827 ] true virtual hosting patch for 2.1

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Mar 17 21:39:34 CET 2006

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by minfrin

Category: list administration
Group: Mailman 2.1

Initial Comment:
[copy of the mail sent to -developpers@]

We developped a reliable solution for running lists
with the same name
on different domains on the same Mailman installation.

I implemented that on top of the Mailman 2.1.1-5.1
Debian stable
package.  All that is needed is to patch 2 files
Mailman/MailList.py) in the mailman install, and here
is the patch:

There's only one caveat right now:
Mailman/Cgi/create.py might need to
get patched too, but I haven't got around looking at it
yet, and it
"just works", for now.

I don't know what's the current status of virtual
hosting support on
Mailman, but this patch is a simple hack that should
bring joy in the
homes of all Mailman admins around the world. :)

I got my inspiration and part of the code from:

All it does is to add the domain to the internal_name()
of a list. The
real_name is kept as is, and the getListAddress() does
the Right Thing.

This makes Mailman generate aliases like:

"|/var/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post list-example.com"

Care will have to be taken on the MTA side to map those
to list at example.com. We are using alternc.org to manage
our server, so
we are using LDAP, so everything went pretty smoothly.
:) But I guess it
will require some magic on the Postfix side or something...

PS: for those wanting to see more, you can come to our

You'll probably have a little trouble finding your way
if you don't
read french though. :) Babelfish might help, haven't tried.

Comment By: Graham Leggett (minfrin)
Date: 2006-03-17 21:39

Logged In: YES

I tried the patch at
http://al.blog.free.fr/mailman/mailman-vh-2.1.5.patch and it
applied cleanly to mailman as provided by RHEL4.

I tried to create a list called "list at domain1.com", but this
failed with the error "Error: List name must not include "@"".

Does this patch have any sort of instructions anywhere?

Comment By: Arnaud Lavrard (arnaudlavrard)