[ mailman-Feature Requests-1441723 ] privacy hole in password reminder

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Sat May 27 03:48:22 CEST 2006

Feature Requests item #1441723, was opened at 2006-03-02 05:48
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by msapiro
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350103&aid=1441723&group_id=103

Category: None
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Mailman sends me password reminders in plain text. I
can disable this feature, but other users can manually
make it send a reminder just as if I had forgot the
password, with no other question being asked. If smart
enough to intercept that message, the attacker could:

1) Get my password;
2) get my IP in the mail header.

Possible solutions:

1) Some sites and programs use a "secret question"
which right answer would give the user the chance to
get a password reminder.

2) The password could be prompted in a secure html
page. I find this safer, as compared to plain text mails.