[ mailman-Patches-534298 ] forward unhandled bounces to admin

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Sep 29 05:29:14 CEST 2006

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by mbp
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=300103&aid=534298&group_id=103

Category: list administration
Group: Mailman 2.0.x

Initial Comment:
samba.org handles a lot of mail messages, and therefore
suffers a lot of bounced messages.  Mailman's automatic
bounce handling is great, but the problem is that
people keep dreaming up new and wierd bounce messages.

With Mailman 2.0.8, if I turn on automatic bounce
handling then some bouncing addresses are not correctly
detected and therefore keep generating large amounts of
traffic indefinitely.  If I turn it off, we get about
3000 bounces per day.

Some of these are just not handled yet by the
BouncerAPI and need patches.  In some cases there is in
fact no deterministic way to work out the bouncing
address (at least until we have VERP), and human
intervention is required.  For example, Novell's
brilliant mail software includes no information in the
Received lines or bounce message to indicate what the
bouncing address is!

Anyhow, this patch changes the behaviour of the bounce
handler so that bounce messages which do not cause any
positive action are forwarded to the list
administrator.  "Positive action" can mean noticing
that the address is already disabled, or marking it as
bouncing, or similar things.  It doesn't include
addresses which don't seem to be on the list, which
probably means that we have not interpreted the message
properly and more help is required.

So in summary bounces which can be automatically
handled will be, and others will go to the admin.

I'm not sure this is the perfect behaviour, but it
certainly seems like an improvement.  Perhaps you want
to make it more configurable.  Please merge this, or
something like it.