[ mailman-Bugs-1661574 ] arch corrupts archives, but only for the last month

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 16 15:54:06 CET 2007

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=1661574&group_id=103

Category: command line scripts
Group: 2.1 (stable)

Initial Comment:
I think this problem has been reported before in previous versions, and its back again in 2.1.9.

When I regenerate archives for our lists, if ANY message contains a '<' character in the body, Mailman splits it as a new message, and everything after that gets corrupted.

This means if someone pastes some XML into the body of a message (which happens quite often on our lists) or some HTML, or the headers of an email, Mailman will break it, but *ONLY* for the latest month's messages, even if the message that started it, was months or years ago.

If a message sent in April of 2003 includes an '<' as the first character anywhere in the body of the message, February 2007's archive will be corrupted.

You can see the results of this over here:

http://lists.plkr.org/pipermail/plucker-list/2007-February/thread.html

And also here:

http://lists.plkr.org/pipermail/plucker-dev/2007-February/thread.html

The raw mbox files are fine, every message is intact.

I don't see this problem on other lists I maintain, it only seems to affect lists where HTML or XML or mail headers are pasted into the body of the message.

I'd call this grave, because its odd how it just dumps itself on the latest month's archive, when the latest month's messages don't even have the problem.