[ mailman-Bugs-1628753 ] Outbound messages have domain fubar'd

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 5 16:11:17 CET 2007

Bugs item #1628753, was opened at 2007-01-05 06:18
Message generated for change (Comment added) made by msapiro
You can respond by visiting: 

Please note that this message will contain a full copy of the comment thread,
including the initial issue submission, for this request,
not just the latest update.
Category: mail delivery
Group: 2.1 (stable)
Status: Open
Resolution: None
Priority: 5
Private: No
Submitted By: Michael Reynolds (wshs)
Assigned to: Nobody/Anonymous (nobody)
Summary: Outbound messages have domain fubar'd

Initial Comment:
This is using a port install of mailman in FreeBSD, with version 2.1.9_1. When sending messages to users, either triggered by the web interface, or a message from a user to a mailman controlled email address, while using qmail with the included qmail-to-mailman script, the following errors litter my logs:

2007-01-05 07:53:25.924843500 info msg 5348160: bytes 1233 from <sirv-bounces at lists.delinked.us> qp 98922 uid 89
2007-01-05 07:53:25.961231500 starting delivery 17: msg 5348160 to remote munged at gmail.comyes

Note the 'gmail.comyes'.
A 'yes' is appended to every outbound message's target domain, thus making delivery impossible.

I spent a few days thinking it was something I messed up, so I went through my entire system setup checking everything that could influence mail. I then discovered the problem is specific to mailman. Not sure what info I can provide to help, but I'd be willing to supply upon request. I am using FreeBSD 5.5, Python 2.5.


>Comment By: Mark Sapiro (msapiro)
Date: 2007-01-05 07:11

Logged In: YES 
Originator: NO

There are many people using Mailman 2.1.9 and probably several using the
FreeBSD port. This is the first report of this issue. It may have
something to do with Python 2.5 or perhaps the combination of the FreeBSD
port and Python 2.5.

The following is an interactive Python snippet (Python responses other
than prompts omitted) that sends mail in exactly the same way as Mailman
does. If you have changed the assignments of SMTPHOST and/or SMTPPORT in
mm_cfg.py, change them here too. Try this and see if the problem exists
with it. If so, the problem is with Python, not Mailman.

>>> import smtplib
>>> msg = """Subject: Test Message
... Message-Id: <some-id at nowhere.example.com>
... From: poster at example.com
... To: you
... The body
... """
>>> rcpts = ['user1 at example.com', 'userb at example.com']
>>> env = 'list-bounces at example.com'
>>> SMTPHOST = 'localhost'
>>> SMTPPORT = 0
>>> x = smtplib.SMTP()
>>> x.set_debuglevel(1)
>>> x.connect(SMTPHOST, SMTPPORT)
>>> x.sendmail(env, rcpts, msg)
>>> x.quit()


You can respond by visiting: 

More information about the Mailman-coders mailing list