[ mailman-Bugs-1712034 ] Pipermail uses MIME CTEs in HTTP

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Thu May 3 16:39:45 CEST 2007

https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=1712034&group_id=103

Category: Pipermail

Initial Comment:
CTE = Content-Transfer-Encoding = BASE64 or QP

John Papapanos writes:

 > Here is a URL where I created a list for testing
 > mailman.
 >
 > https://mail.bioacademy.gr/pipermail/testlist2/2007-May/thread.html

Wow!  That's amazingly broken.  What's I'm pretty sure is happening is that the archive contains raw message content in a MIME QP or transfer-encoding, which cannot be decoded because the Content-Transfer-Encoding header has been stripped (AFAIK it's actually prohibited in HTTP, cf RFC 2616 section 19.5).  (I'm not 100% sure because I don't have access to the physical archive, only via https.)

The reason that the Greek text-only comes out OK is that your browser (John and I are both using Firefox) interprets the { notation in the message body as SGML entities, which are Unicode.

Presumably the reason that such content is in there in the first place is that either pipermail doesn't parse the mail (unlikely) or it reencodes use flatten or something like that.

I'll look more carefully at the code later, maybe provide a patch, but don't bet on it.