[ mailman-Bugs-1866486 ] validate HTML and email produced

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Thu Jan 24 03:31:15 CET 2008

Message generated for change (Comment added) made by jidanni
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=1866486&group_id=103

Category: Web/CGI
Group: None

Initial Comment:
In your test suite add
for all languages
   for all HTML pages
       run them thru a HTML validator
   for all administrative email sent
       run them thru e.g., SpamAssassin, to detect
       SUBJECT_NEEDS_ENCODING etc. embarrassment.

Date: 2008-01-24 10:31

Originator: YES

Can't find the button to merge this with 1861600. Perhaps I don't have
javascript turned on.

Anyway: I did see http://wiki.list.org/display/DEV/Summer+of+Code but
he's got it all wrong. Instead of going the javascript direction, he
should just go to the strict.dtd direction. Using not even one TABLE,
only H1 H2, etc. Indeed just like the HTML in my http://jidanni.org/ .

I mean if anything, the number of buttons and choices on the Mailman
web interface should shrink, not grow. Therefore the slightly looser H1
H2 etc. instead of TABLEs will not be too big anyway. I don't even see
the need for any CSS. Just H2 or <DL><DT><DD><P> lists of questions
and answers (item names and their choices.)

Mailman is not some multimedia application. You should go the
Strict.dtd route. No color too: then you will be forced to make your
H2's titles meaningful ones, improving accessibility for everybody.

(P.S., the Chinese sample I gave also has its language selector ripped
out, else I would have to also maintain an English page, as that is
Dreamhost's site language, and cannot be
turned off (bug 1875187))

Comment By: jidanni (jidanni)