[ mailman-Bugs-1956393 ] List Options change of address accepts mailto:

SourceForge.net noreply at sourceforge.net
Fri May 2 23:37:40 CEST 2008

Message generated for change (Settings changed) made by msapiro
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=100103&aid=1956393&group_id=103

Category: (un)subscribing
Group: 2.1 (stable)
Initial Comment:
One of my users changed their subscription address by copying and pasting in List Options, and accidentally included the mailto: protocol.  While they received messages at their new address, they were not recognised as subscribers when attempting to send.

Testing this, I find that the Mass Subscription page strips mailto: and subscribes the proper address.

**The normal deletion tools fail to operate on the invalid address**:
  Membership list unsub checkbox;
  Mass Removal page;
  Command Line remove_members
- all fail to remove an address with mailto:

remove_members produces the following error for the example address mailto:testaddress at server:

-----
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/remove_members", line 186, in ?
    main()
  File "/usr/sbin/remove_members", line 176, in main
    admin_notif, userack)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 1014, in ApprovedDeleteMember
    self.removeMember(emailaddr)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py", line 220, in removeMember
    self.__assertIsMember(member)
  File "/usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/OldStyleMemberships.py", line 113, in __assertIsMember
    raise Errors.NotAMemberError, member
Mailman.Errors.NotAMemberError: testaddress at server
-----

- indicating (I think) that the search function fails because it doesn't include mailto: as part of the address.

There *is* a workaround: clone_member -r will delete the invalid address. (Using clone_member without -r successfully creates a new valid subscription, e.g. testaddress at server - but this then will be deleted by any of the above tools rather than "mailto:testaddress at server"!)

However, the main problem here is that mailto: is accepted by the List Options page change of address mechanism.  Hopefully it would not be too hard to adapt the filtering used on the Mass Subscription page?