Automating Migration from MM2 to MM3

Richard Wackerbarth richard at NFSNet.org
Sat Apr 7 04:41:12 CEST 2012

In order to provide migration from MM2 to MM3, we will need to reformat the list configuration, membership rosters and the user preferences.

What should we do about: pending messages and the message archives?

Is it sufficient to assume that the MM2 lists will be shut down and all pending messages (and digests) will be delivered/flushed before restarting the list on the MM3 server?

Do we need to provide a legacy interface to pipermail, thus "kicking the issue down the road", or
Will someone migrate the legacy archives, or
Will the user be expected to maintain two archives?

Have I omitted any additional transition issues?