[Question #255075]: End of body / message terminator in .txt archive?

Mark Sapiro question255075 at answers.launchpad.net
Mon Sep 29 04:52:03 CEST 2014

Question #255075 on mailman in Ubuntu changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/mailman/+question/255075

Mark Sapiro proposed the following answer:
First of all, you don't need any special privilege to get the
cummulative archive mailbox I describe in comment #6. You only need to
authenticate for private archive access with your own list member
address and list member password.

If you get this mbox, you'll see that the real From separators do not
have obfuscated email addresses (which makes cleanarch think they are
not real From separators). You will also see that the messages have all
(or at least most of) the original headers, not just the abbreviated set
in the .txt files.

It is not possible for me to be of further help with this question as I
have no information about the modications that OpenStack has made to its
Mailman installation. Aside from the obvious web style changes, there is
at least one anomaly, i.e. the file at
<http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-
dev/2014-September.txt.gz> is a gzip archive containing a file named
2014-September.txt, but this is not a text file. It is another gzip
archive which contains the actual text file. This is due to some
modification and/or misconfiguration of Mailman. I have no idea what
other things might be in play here that result in the "From " line in
the message body not being escaped, but I don't think this will happen
with an unmodified Mailman.

I think you'll need to follow up with OpenStack to find why their
Mailman installation is broken in this way. If they need assistance,
they can join the mailman-users at python.org list at
request to that list.  Note that this is a publicly archived list.  One
should not post personal information that one doesn't want to expose to
the world.

Mailman Coders, which is an answer contact for mailman in Ubuntu.