[Mailman-developers] Treating you shoddily

Ken Manheimer klm@python.org
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 14:57:54 -0400 (EDT)

I'm test a delivery to a list with more than a few addresses (not much
more), to see whether a slightly drastic measure to deal with a subtle
bug scales up.

In case you're interested, the problem was with addresses that contain
a quote - there's only one instance on all my lists, someone with the
last name "O'hara".  The single quotes were being lost in the forked
sendmail (and/or before that, in the forked deliver script command
line).

The solution appears to be to apply repr to the addresses before
exposing them to the shell.  It works on the problematic addresses,
and the few addresses i played with on some trial lists, but this is
the first try with a middling sized list.

And incidentally, one of the near changes is to switch over to direct
SMTP acces to the mail delivery agent on the current machine, rather
than forking sendmail and exposing the addresses to the command line.
John has already provided me with an SMTP class that he's been playing
with, but i was shy about diving into that so near to releasing the
new version.

Ken