[Mailman-Developers] multiples patch

Ken Manheimer klm@python.org
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 14:22:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, John Viega wrote:

> You know, I thought I saw such a thing too, but now I can't find it.
> Has anyone fixed this problem yet, and if so, can you make patches?
> If not, it's the first thing I'll go after.  I think people have given
> enough information to find the problem pretty easily.

John, i think this is related to the linux gid problems that i
identified in relation to corbett's duplicates problems.  In brief:

 - On linux systems, scripts forked by the object executables (eg, the
   wrapper executables) do inherit the effective gid that the wrappers
   wants them to get - but then, scripts forked by *those* scripts do
   not!

 - This permissions problem, combined with the initial insensitivity of
   Utils.TrySMTPDelivery (i think it was) was causing things to be left
   on the queue despite successful delivery, and then the queue
   processing script - launched from the cron job with the right euid -
   would do a redundant delivery and then delete.

I think that was the upshot - but check the messages (with apparent
fixes) that i posted about it, they should give the full scoop.  (Note
that part of the fix for linux systems was to open up the permissions on
the queue directory - not an optimal solution.)

http://www.python.org/pipermail/1998q3.mailman-developers/989f2234d905.html
http://www.python.org/pipermail/1998q3.mailman-developers/c1aa27e70661.html

Sorry i don't have more time to dedicate to this stuff at the moment -
hopefully soon...

ken
klm@python.org