[Mailman-Developers] debug logging, long CC (Deliverer.py)

Peter Gervai grin@tolna.net
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 11:41:32 +0100

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 03:31:14PM -0800, Greg Stein wrote:

> Two items that I noticed in Deliverer.py:
>
> 1) it writes to stderr, rather than logging

This reminds me to the feeling when I first met mailman, when I thought:
uhh, this program cannot log anything. I don't see what happens. There
is some logfiles, but apart from the error log (which doesn't help
always so well :)) there is no useful logfile. Is there a log for all
processed messages for example? Especially the subscribe and confirmation
messages? The bounces mailman processes, and other non-fatal errors?

Maybe there is a possibility to have debug log but I didn't find it. It was
especially sad when I put a larger list to mailman and found out that LOTS
of mail did not get delivered, and there were NO sign anywhere in the logs
that
1) delivery did not happen
2) why it did not happen.

The other question is the reason why it didnt: it was because mailman wanted
to send a mail with a very long CC list, and because security reasons the
CC's were maxed at 15, so delivery failed with 5xx error somewhere in the
middle and mail got silently lost. Is there any settings to set how many
CC's mailman will use at most? At least it should later be documented
somewhere that mailman requires such limitations lifted.

best regards,
grin