[Mailman-Developers] The bulk issue

Harald Meland Harald.Meland@usit.uio.no
19 Dec 1998 16:00:36 +0100

[Ken Manheimer]

> More importantly, after reviewing the vacation man page, i realized
> that the precedence: bulk header would be redundant for mailing list
> traffic, since most of the kinds of things that respect it also
> refrain from responding to messages that do not have the recipient's
> address explicitly mentioned among the destination addresses, which
> is inherently the case for maillist traffic - so the precedence:
> bulk is unnecessary.

I'd say inserting a "Precedence: list" header is a good thing anyway.

Consider the case of a vacation program not knowing which addresses
maps to which mail users -- such a vacation program (which is not at
all uncommon) would have (very nearly) no idea whether the address in
the To: header is a mailing list address or some strange alias
pointing to the mail user it is trying to do it's thing for.  Giving
such a vacation program an additional header to base it's judgement on
is IMHO a good thing.

I have no idea where, or even if, "Precedence: list" is standardized
in any way, but I think that thath is what majordomo is inserting.
Being compatible with majordomo when it doesn't cost us anything is
also, IMHO, a good thing.

The only reason I see for _not_ adding any Precedence: header, is that
Mailman-delivered messages have half a truckload of headers as it is.
But that, IMHO, isn't really a strong argument -- as long as all the
headers are there for some good reason, they _should_ be in there.

Just my ¤.02,
--
Harald