[Mailman-developers] List entry indexing

Barry A. Warsaw bwarsaw@CNRI.Reston.Va.US (Barry A. Warsaw)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:34:49 -0500 (EST)

I would definitely like to see a user-centric view of the world, as
opposed to a list-centric view, especially when we're talking about
users managing their presence via the Web.  I want to be able to pull
up one Web page that gives me a form by which I can change my email
address in one fell swoop, perhaps have different email addresses per
list, change my visibility per list, etc.  If I had to visit a
list-centric page for every list I'm a member of, that would be a huge
pain.  (But list-centric Web pages still have their uses, so the same
database could drive both views).

Maybe the code isn't set up for this now, but it should be a goal of
future development.  In that case, while I agree with Ken that the
email account is critical as the user's identity, having some other
unique key to identify the user is helpful when email addresses
change, as is inevitable.  Requiring or using a public key system
seems excessive, but I don't see how to keep the user id from being
given to the user.  I might not remember what address I'm subscribed
with on which list (I see this happen a lot with Majordomo users
actually).

-Barry