[Mailman-Developers] Some patch for mailman

Ken Manheimer klm@python.org
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 00:21:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 1 Jul 1998, Dan Ohnesorg, admin on power wrote:

> Hi everybody,

Hi, dan.  Sorry it's taken so long to respond - i for one haven't had
much time to do a lot of pending mailman stuff, including looking at
your patches, until now.

> What it solves, first part of patch to remove irriting headers from messages. I dont
> like to send messages like RCPT and so. Second uses DSN to send mails. This
> disables (when enabled) messages like warning, message is not delivered for 4
> hours and so. Then comes some removing of winmail.dat binary attachments. I am
> working on removing all unwanted parts (html, rtf) and translating national
> characters into ascii, but is not complete yet. Then comes administrativ via filter, but
> it not works, it worked on mailman 1.0, but I cannot bring it running on b4, You will
> see, it is probably only a little bug, at least the filter shields list from administrative
> messages.

The main thing that interests me is the DSN capability.  It may be that
we'll integrate it for the next release.

I'm reluctant to do any administrivia filtering that catches anything
but the most mechanical administrivia - i do not want to try to catch
messages like "How do i subscribe to the list?", only those that were
strictly formatted and intended for the -request address.

I also wouldn't recommend doing translation of stuff to ascii, or other
surgery on messages.  Minimum intrusion is the rule - granted, stuff
like winmail.dat attachments are a nuisance, but it seems like the
problem is with the origin, and not something a relatively transparent
maillist should be trying to fix.

ken manheimer
klm@python.org